[ltp] Thinkpad R 30, linux and ultrabay HD

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:33:03 +0200

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 20:12:14 +0200, Giuseppe Leto wrote:
> Hi there,
> I have a TP R 30, with linux mandrake 8.1, I have used the ultrabay with
> the cdrw and it works well.
> Now I got a new 40 GB HD and I placed it in the ultra bay, but it does
> not work.
> At the beginning the hd is detected  from the kernel, and the device
> /dev/hdc is written, but after that problems occurs and the device is
> not linked with any thing.
> Kernel says  "Aug 22 18:40:25 lapname modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate
> module ide-disk",
>                           "Aug 22 18:40:25 lapname DrakX: An error
> occurred while getting the geometry of block device /dev/hdc: No such
> device or address" and
>                         "kernel: hdc: driver not present".
> Following there is part of the log messages for  a more clear
> description of what is appening.
> After the boot I cannot see the disk with hardrake disk uitilities.
>
> Can any one give me some hints in debugging this?

I don't know what exactly DrakX is, but it seems to look at all hard
disks and is confused about your second hard disk. There are no error
messages from the kernel, so everything seems to work fine appart from
DrakX.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG