[ltp] Partially killed my TP: Quick question, hopefully someone has a quick answer...

Vidyut Luther linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:48:33 -0400 (EDT)

Unfortunately... your answer is B. I'm pretty sure of that. The A22P
boasts a 30 gig drive right ? There is a hidden partition that takes up
about 2 gigs. This is where the system restore CD will take it's info
from..I'm fairly certain that it will wipe out anything else there is.

A possible solution could be Norton Ghost, which will let you make an
image of the hard drive and the Linux partition and you can store it
elsewhere, like on a network or different computer. The latest version
does work with Linux partitions so that might work for you...

 On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Bill Mair wrote:

> Hi all you linux thinkpad people out there,
>
> I have messed up my Win2000 partition on my TP-A22P which I
> sometimes require for business purposes (and a couple of cool
> games ;-) ). I took me ages to get my linux partition to where
> I have it now (tons of S/W, data, etc.).
>
> I started it up with VMWare from Linux, which basically
> killed the "IBM Install", new hardware, new config, new APM
> capabilities, no ACP Modem, new computer as far as Win2000
> was concerned. Real dumm, real bummer . . . . . . .
>
> Now my question, when I switch on the laptop, it has this IBM
> restore thingy.
>
> Will the IBM recovery process installed on a Thinkpad A22P ... :
>
> [ ] A. only restores the windows "C" partition (format C:) and leaves my
>        linux alone.
>
> [ ] B. will repartion the whole disk (fdisk) thus leaving me gasping for
>        air.
>
> [ ] C. will cause some kind of natural disaster if connected to the internet
>        during the process.
>
> [ ] D. nobody knows because no one has ever dared to try it.
>
> [ ] E. none of the above (please supply details below):
>        __________________________________________________________________
>        __________________________________________________________________
>        __________________________________________________________________
>

> I really don't want to start restoring and reconfiguring my whole
> machine, so depending on what the recovery does, it will greatly
> influence how I have to deal with this mess.
>
> Hope you all have a great weekend,
>
>   Bill

Vidyut Luther
Linuxpowered, Inc
http://www.linuxpowered.com
p:732-822-5689
p:210-685-1861
pager: pagevid@linuxpowered.com
f:1-877-576-6327
Witness if you will Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express, the two most
efficient virus propagation utilities ever devised by human intellectual
failure.                              -- By Thomas C Green, The Register
%