[ltp] Partially killed my TP: Quick question, hopefully someone has a quick answer...

Pam Huntley linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:49:15 -0400

The recovery process will (b) completely repartition your hard drive and
reformat it to windows (or whatever your preload was).  It does, however,
give you the courtesy of warning you about this, oh, about 15 times (not
that I've sat there and pressed the Y button much, nooooooo.... ).

There might be some ways around it, but it'd take me a while to find out
for sure, and it sounds like you want to get right on this.

If I were you, I'd back up my Linux partition beyond a shadow of a doubt
before I do anything else.  dd is your friend....

Pam

Pamela Huntley, IBM PCD Software Development

|---------+-------------------------------->
|         |           Bill Mair            |
|         |           <w.mair@levigo.de>   |
|         |           Sent by:             |
|         |           owner-linux-thinkpad@|
|         |           bm-soft.com          |
|         |                                |
|         |                                |
|         |           08/23/2002 08:15 AM  |
|         |           Please respond to    |
|         |           linux-thinkpad       |
|         |                                |
|---------+-------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       Linux ThinkPad <linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com>                                           |
  |       cc:                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  [ltp] Partially killed my TP: Quick question, hopefully someone has a quick answer...     |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                           |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi all you linux thinkpad people out there,

I have messed up my Win2000 partition on my TP-A22P which I
sometimes require for business purposes (and a couple of cool
games ;-) ). I took me ages to get my linux partition to where
I have it now (tons of S/W, data, etc.).

I started it up with VMWare from Linux, which basically
killed the "IBM Install", new hardware, new config, new APM
capabilities, no ACP Modem, new computer as far as Win2000
was concerned. Real dumm, real bummer . . . . . . .

Now my question, when I switch on the laptop, it has this IBM
restore thingy.

Will the IBM recovery process installed on a Thinkpad A22P ... :

[ ] A. only restores the windows "C" partition (format C:) and leaves my
       linux alone.

[ ] B. will repartion the whole disk (fdisk) thus leaving me gasping for
       air.

[ ] C. will cause some kind of natural disaster if connected to the
internet
       during the process.

[ ] D. nobody knows because no one has ever dared to try it.

[ ] E. none of the above (please supply details below):

I really don't want to start restoring and reconfiguring my whole
machine, so depending on what the recovery does, it will greatly
influence how I have to deal with this mess.

Hope you all have a great weekend,

  Bill