[ltp] Partially killed my TP: Quick question, hopefully someone has a quick answer...

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
24 Aug 2002 10:24:31 +1200

On Sat, 2002-08-24 at 09:26, Pam Huntley wrote:

> Just FYI,  the recovery process changed at some point after the T21 from
> recovery CD to recovery from disk.

Well, I'm glad I bought this "old" machine then.  IBM was auctioning
them on ebay last year...

Interesting.  Both that and the recovery CD I received imply tying the
OS to the hardware, as in, I can't move my copy of W$k to another
machine when I remove it from this one.  A machine specific license as
opposed to a customer license.

I'm not bothering too much about it as I'm committed to getting M$ out
of my personal computer - expensive to learn and difficult to make
reliable (secure), but it's an interesting question.

> My experience since then has been if you go to recover with a linux
> partition on the disk, it restores the original partition table (or else
> freaks out and crashes.  But it hasn't done that in a while  :-).

Fortunately, that hasn't occurred for me.  Using dd if=/dev/hda
of=/dev/hdc as my backup kills the *source* install of W$k! ??  I have
no idea how that comes about, but it's pretty much the norm, and I've
been experimenting with GNU/Linux distros to find one for day to day
use, so all up I've had to re-install a LOT  8-).

Which reinforces a habit of mine - know how to restore a system
(including how to reinstall it from scratch).  Keep notes while doing
it.

regards,
Bret