[ltp] RedHat 7.3 install/boot freeze on TP600

Dan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:10:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

I have recently been attempting to install RedHat 7.3 on my Thinkpad
600; I say 'attempting' because I am unable to get a bootable
installation.  Even when I turn APM off as an install parameter, it
will still freeze during the first attempt at booting on 'initializing
APM daemon'.  Ok, so I turn off APM (as RH support advised) with
chkconfig.  Then it freezes at 'Mounting other filesystems', so I turn
off portmap and nfslock (again, which RH support tells me to do).
Then it freezes at 'starting automount', so RH supports says turn off
autofs with ntsysv, and when I do that, it goes back to freezing at
'Mounting other filesystems'.

When I tell RH support this, they say that they are unable to give me
any more support for this hardware.  If anyone has any suggestions
which might help me get my Thinkpad to be bootable, I would very much
appreciate them.

Thanks,
	--Dan.