[ltp] Partially killed my TP: Quick question, hopefully someone has aquick answer...

Kelvin KAN linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:43:36 +0800

Hi Bill,

In what way was the w2k partn messed up? Filesystem corrupt or just core
kernel files lost?  NTFS or VFAT?   Do you have the the full version of
Windows 2000 CD? Or just the recovery CDs?

I had a real diasaster last week but might not be quite similar to yours
and your options below may not apply.

If NTFS, here is just my problem and recovery for your reference:

Requirement:

A. full version W2k CD to re-install w/o formatting/loosing data
B. Notebook-desktop (2.5"-3.5") converter
C. desktop (dt) PC with dual booting Linux/W2k and a spare VFAT part'n.

Symptoms:

1.  Failed to resume from w2k hibernation twice. Lose patience and
power-cycled the notebook.

2.  W2k "starting windows" then blue_screen_of_death, roughly saying:
    "Stop: ntfs_services() kernel fault...(a bunch of
addresses)...please consult your sys admin..."

3.  Attempt to re-install using the full-version w2k CD failed when the
install tried to mount the NTFS (same bsod).

4.  Using a nb-dt converter, plugged the HD into DT W2k.  DT W2k failed
to start, same bsod.

5.  Tried Partition Magic.  PM booted using floppy avoiding any NTFS
faults. PM saw the NTFS and completed a recovery.  But on going back to
(4), bsod again.

Solution:

6.  Lastly, tried Linux NTFS module of the desktop PC
	a. ref to http://www.xys.org.forum2/messages/20837.html
	b. mounted the notebook NTFS read-only
	c. backed up the data to the spare VFAT part'n which could be
		quite easily recog'd by the dt w2k subsequently.
	d. rebooted to dt w2k to make sure the backup data
		was valid and readable
	e. Back to dt Linux, deleted the notebook NTFS partn
	f. Using the full-version w2k CD, formatted, re-installed w2k
		& recovered the data from backup on the dt.

You see here, Linux mounts NTFS much better than Microsoft, at least no
crash !!!

Cheers,
-
Kelvin.