[ltp] 770E sound

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 11:04:44 -0400

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 22:37:27 -0700
SMichelle <parallax@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I have a newly installed redhat 7.3 on a tp 770E and am having sound
> trouble.

> When I run sndconfig -- selecting the CS423* driver -- then when
> sndconfig asks if I hear sound ... I don't.  This is the same no matter
> what driver I've chosen.  I then tried running aumix, but it says it has
> an "error opening mixer."

Assuming the 770 uses the same drivers as the 600/385, it sounds like
you've specified the wrong io or irq or dma parameters for your sound
card.  This would cause np sound to be heard when running sndconfig and
would cause your "unable to open mixer".  You can probably find out the
proper settings using ps2.exe from DOS.