[ltp] Partially killed my TP: Quick question, hopefully someone has a quick answer...

Norman Levin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 20:06:26 -0500

Bill Mair wrote:
>> Thanks for all the answers, for my machine the answer is A !
>>
>> The IBM recovery process installed on a Thinkpad A22P only restores
>> the windows "C" partition (format C:) and leaves my linux alone.
>>
>> ( It also left my "D: DATA" partition alone too. )
>>
>> On my A22P there is a hidden recovery partition, this restores, as is
>> described during the process, the "system partition" only, i.e. C:.
>> It also said "This will reformat the disk" at various points after
>> that so this could/should actually be reported to IBM as a
>> documentation bug, the text should read "This will reformat the
>> system partition". BTW the A22P didn't come with a CD, so if the HD
>> ever dies, I don't know how IBM will solve this for me. I mean
>> saving expenses is okay (i.e. 1 CD) but what would this mean for me
>> or anyone else whose HD dies ?
>>
>> For the record, my problem and solution were as follows:
>>
>> 0) Saved all partitions using "dd" to another PC on the network.
>> Additional positive side effect, I now have access via loopback
>> device to my current HD data :-).
>>
>> 1) Started VMWare from hda1 without first creating a second hardware
>> profile. Therefore W2K lost al the configurations for the TP H/W, and
>> then when I restarted W2K, it had all kinds of serious problems with
>> H/W settings, suspension, networking, etc.. Basically a mess. My own
>> stupidity,.
>>
>> 2) During the linux install process, I had opted for lilo in hda MBR,
>> which meant that the recovery option was no longer available.
>> Duhhh....
>>
>> 3) Mounted recovery partition under linux, had a look around, and for
>> a "recovery restore" disk image, copied this over to my "D" and then
>> rebooted W2K.
>>
>> 4) Created the disk, booted from it, which then killed lilo and
>> installed itself into MBR.
>>
>> 5) Recovered the system using the on-disk process, hoping that I
>> wasn't going to have to start shrinking partitions, and recovering
>> them from dd copies. The recovery process went fine, loads of
>> reboots, unzips, copy heres and copy theres. As windows was then
>> going through it's steps it said "Disk size 30GB, checking disk
>> integrity", this only tested C:, my heart started to sink.
>>
>> 6) Load of reboots later, and I finally had the chance to start
>> explorer.....
>> D still there ! I quickly started the HD config and found that all of
>> my linux partitions were also untouched. Great sigh of relief.
>>
>>   * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>>   *  A big THANKS to IBM Thinkpad ! ! ! *
>>   * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>>
>> 7) Booted from linux CD, typed "rescue <ENTER>", reinstalled lilo,
>> and I am now answering you all, from linux, as it should be.
>>
>> So thanks for all the answers, and I hope you all have a great
>> weekend !
>>
>>   Bill
** many of the problems you had with lilo in the MBR could have been
avoided by booting from the rescue CD's.  Just have to set the boot list
to CD and NOT do the 'temporary selection of boot device'.  The cd is rebooted
several times and if you do NOT have the CD set up in the boot list, you will
boot from the hard disk and strange things will happen.

Yes, the restore does NOT fix the MBR. Makes you wonder what you would do if
that was one of the reasons you were doing the 'recovery'
norm