[ltp] Partially killed my TP: Quick question, hopefully someone has a quick answer...

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:49:00 +0200

--On Sunday, August 25, 2002 08:06:26 PM -0500 Norman Levin
<normanlevin@attglobal.net> wrote:

> Bill Mair wrote:

<SNIP/>

>>> system partition". BTW the A22P didn't come with a CD, so if the HD

<SNIP/>

> ** many of the problems you had with lilo in the MBR could have been
> avoided by booting from the rescue CD's.  Just have to set the boot list
> to CD and NOT do the 'temporary selection of boot device'.  The cd is
> rebooted several times and if you do NOT have the CD set up in the boot
> list, you will boot from the hard disk and strange things will happen.
>
> Yes, the restore does NOT fix the MBR. Makes you wonder what you would do
> if that was one of the reasons you were doing the 'recovery'
> norm

I don't have a rescue CD. There is only a rescue image on the HD :-(

There was no other way but to kill and restore lilo..... I had actually
hoped
that the disk would just boot the rescue partition, but no, it re-wrote the
MBR, so that I could select the rescue process.

Bill