[ltp] Turning off Lid standby???

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
27 Aug 2002 11:19:01 +1200

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 07:14, Kelly John Rose wrote:
> Well, the start button is the button with the windows logo on it. It's
> located on the keyboard

Ah...a *Windows* button.  The plot thins... 8-)

I suggest you have a look at:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

This site is one of the best accumulations of information about laptop
issues.  There are listings of pages people have put up regarding
specific laptop models they have gotten working with GNU/Linux, and
there are general articles as well.

In the general articles you will find one titled:
"How to Make Your Windows Keys Useful"

but LOOK OVER EVERYTHING, as there's no standard about where people put
information they've written on their own time so you have to look for it
yourself a lot with GNU/Linux.  You'll find lots of good info that way.

> The other button is the menu button that has a K on it that is located in
> the lower left corner of the screen. Also, I would like to map a few of my
> other keys on the keyboard. Especially the "Fn" keys. The keys that are
> activated when I press the button marked "Fn" on the keyboard.

You know - you *still* haven't told us what model thinkpad you have, and
what distribution and version of GNU/Linux you are using - all these
things matter.  Do you have an external keyboard plugged in, or are you
using the built-in keyboard?

Which "Fn" keys are on your machine?  Some distributions already have
support for some of them, and others don't.

On my T21 using Redhat 7.3 with an upgraded 2.4.18-5 custom compiled
kernel and Ximian Desktop, I have Fn+F3 for blanking the display, and it
works.  I have Fn+F4 for going to Suspend mode, and if I eject PCMCIA
cards, that works (but the network suspend-resume isn't worked out yet),
I have Fn+F12 for going into hibernation, and if I eject PCMCIA that
works.  Fn+PgUp turns my little keyboard light on and off, and Fn+Home
or End makes my display brighter or dimmer.  I haven't messed with Fn+F7
as I don't have an external display.  My volume buttons work, but the
"Thinkpad" button does nothing.

With some laptops, there are compile switches just to deal with
incompatibilities for that particular model, and Thinkpads are one of
them (APM issues).

What have you got?
What model Thinkpad (mine's a T21 2647-8AU)?
What distribution and version of GNU/Linux?
What kernel are you running ("uname -a" will tell you)?
Did you compile a custom kernel?

I get lots of help from people when I volunteer lots of information, and
especially if I tell them where I've looked already, and what I found,
and what I didn't - they feel I'm doing the work on my end that way.

You're right to ask here - that's what I do, but I've found I get a lot
of help when I tell what I've got and what I've done when I ask for the
bits I haven't managed to find yet.

Your mileage may vary.

Bret