[ltp] Automatically running programs on startup

Jim Harvey linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:35:37 -0500

IBM ThinkPad wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Kelly John Rose wrote:
>

>>Where is the Linux equivalent of the autoexec.bat file?
>>
>>I need to have my computer automatically run the following on startup and
>>I cannot figure out how to do it
>>
>>cardctl insert
>>ifconfig eth0 up
>>
>>both run in Boot mode.
>>

> try
>
> /etc/rc.d/boot.local
>
> or something like that. that's the place where you can put your
> own stuff.

What is the problem in the first place?  I had a PCMCIA Ethernet card that would come up on boot but the eth0 configuration would fail.  I solved the problem by rearranging the file names in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d so the pcmcia ran earlier in the sequence.  The files are executed in alpha order, just change the number in the name to rearrange the order.

--
  After Armageddon, there will be only three things left,  Kudzu vines creeping
  over the ruins, Cockroaches feasting on the blackend ashes, and somewhere