[ltp] Mwave Modem Monitor

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:25:35 -0400

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:49:35 +0100 (BST)
Mike Taylor <mike@seatbooker.net> wrote:

> Weird.  I emailed Paul Schroeder of IBM's Linux Technology Center
> about this, and his response was that it Just Worked for him and
> always has!  (It's on his suggestion that I mailed this list.)

Given another poster's comment in this thread, you might want to ask him
if he's got sound drivers loaded during the tests, and if so which ones.

I've got the standard kernel cs4232 drivers loaded, and another poster in
this thread is using the ALSA drivers, but reports that his modem makes
noise only because the rest of his sound setup isn't working!

The next logical test seems to be to cold-boot the Thinkpad with the
sound drivers disabled - and see if we get modem noise.

[For anyone else reading, my machine is a Thinkpad 600 running RH 7.3.]

> > Does it have something to do with the sound card's mixer settings?

> No.  I always have the mixer up loud so I can hear my MP3s.

I meant more that maybe there was one particular slider that affected the
modem (as that's how it was on an older desktop machine I had with an
internal modem).

I just tried all the sliders available via aumix (the command-line mixer)
and got nothing from the mwave.  I *did* verify that the microphone
works, though. :)

Given the choice between modem sounds and all other system sounds, I'll
take a quiet modem, though!