[ltp] lm sensors

John Morris linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 03:53:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 phil@netroedge.com wrote:

> There is also a link on that page to the hardware maintenance manual
> which talks about the unit serial number, as well as a recovery
> process (has anyone tried it?).  See page 20 (Acrobat reader calls it
> page 26).  I also heard of hitting 'ESC' at the error message to fix
> it and continue the boot process... that sounds too easy, though.

Yup, at least on a 570E, not on a 600.  Toasted mine on day 2 after
getting it.  After finding the ESC trick on my own I went online,
searched on the error message and found out what I'd done to my new
beastie.  Well I was NOT sending it back so soon after getting it without
a fight so I started digging hard.  Found a reference in the mailing
list's archives about the Maint Disk.  Bugging IBM was a waste of time but
someone on this list pointed me to a spot on IBM's ftp site close enough I
got the maint disk and it mostly fixed my machine.  The machine ID stuff
on the BIOS screen isn't the same but who cares.

Since then a couple of people haev found my thread in the list archive and
I have passed on the disk to them with to good effect.  And for a giggle,
here is what I got when I posted the solution on IBM's web based support
forums:

> Two of your posts in the ThinkPad 570 Discussion Forums have been removed
> because they contained confidential IBM information concerning IBM
> products.  I am pleased that you find the Discussion Forums to be a
> convenient area to communicate with other ThinkPad owners, but please
> refrain from posting information concerning Hardware Maintenance Diskettes
> in the future.

Guess that says it all about IBM's concern for us.

Someone else was looking for volunteers for testing.  Since mine has
already had the worst done to it I guess there is little risk in
experimenting on it.  It has been a year or two now of this problem, about
time it got fixed.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!