[ltp] Backup Solutions?

J.J.Green linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
29 Aug 2002 10:13:15 +0100

Hi

> With hard-drives sizes greater than 30 Gigs, copying filesystems to
> CDROM is no longer an option.....Are people using USB(2.0?)/Firewire
> drives? Do they work reliably on linux?

Ive got an external maxtor USB2 hard drive attatched
to my home network which I find very convenient.
- it workes with USB1 devices (like the built-in
  usb on my TP)
- I usually have it attatched to an old pentium with a
  no-name USB2 card thrown in, and I get good bandwidth for
  backups via PCMCIA ethernet to this box.

You need 2.4.19+ to make use of the extra bandwith in
USB2 though.

-j
--
J. J. Green,  Dept. Applied Mathematics, F40, Hicks Bld.,
Hounsfield Rd.,  University of Sheffield,  Sheffield, UK.