[ltp] ps2.exe without dos partition

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 04:22:04 -0500

SMichelle wrote:

> [ ... ]
>
>While on a Win98 desktop I ran uttcpdos.exe and installed all the
>above files to a non-booting floppy (installation terminated on a
>bootable floppy due to lack of space). I then copied over all the files
>with the exception of the HELPMSGx.DAT files (again space limitations)
>to a bootable floppy. After trying ps2.exe the message displayed was
>"Install DOS ThinkPad configurations again" and then terminated.

You need all of the *.dat files. After you make your bootable Win98
floppy make sure it has only three files on it, command.com and two
hidden files io.sys and msdos.sys. You don't need anything else. Delete
the hidden file drvspace.bin, you don't need it and it wastes 68K. Then
copy in the files that uttcpdos.exe created, minus uinstall.exe,
setenvn.exe, and instutd2.exe; the rest will fit. I just tried this out
with Win98SE and ThinkPad Utilities for DOS version 4.32 (current). I
made the floppy on a desktop computer, then tried it out in my 600E and
it worked fine. ps2.exe is very slow running off of a floppy but it gets
the job done.

wes