[ltp] T30 Docking Problem

Lee Colleton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
01 Dec 2002 15:01:00 -0800

--=-TIuzYalLwcd7Q0KBKhki

When the battery is charging, the lock feature is active.  When my
battery is fully charged the thinkpad isn't locked in place and can be
released by depressing the trigger on the dock.  Perhaps the dock does
have surge supression.  Perhaps it can handle running current but not
charging current.  Perhaps the feature is in place to ensure that every
charge cycle is completed to maximize battery performance and lifetime.=20
Contact IBM if you want the skinny on what is really going on here but
don't bother calling sales, call tech support instead.  I don't know how
the feature works in Windows because I only use Linux.

YT
Lee

On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 13:25, D. Sen wrote:
> So this feature is only while the laptop battery is charging? If the
> battery is 100% charged, the laptop can be released? How does it work in
>    Window$?
>=20
> Thanks,
> DS
>=20
> Lee Colleton wrote:
>  > On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 13:34, D. Sen wrote:
>  >
>  >>I just bought a docking station for my T30 and am having trouble
>  >>releasing the laptop from the docking station. So far, I have only bee=
>  >>able to detach the machine by switching off power (literally pulling o=
ut
>  >>the plug) to the docking station.
>  >>
>  >>Is this the correct mode of operation for the docking station or is th=
>  >>unit malfunctioning? If it IS the correct mode, how are you meant to
>  >>detach the machine without needing to power it down?
>  >>
>  >>DS
>  >>
>  >>
>  >
>  > I noticed the same "feature" with my 560X and it's docking station; Th=
>  > dock will latch the ThinkPad in place while it is charging.  Two
>  > effective ways to release this latch without shutting down entirely ar=
e:
>  > 1. Put the ThinkPad in suspend mode by pressing Fn+F4 (on the 560X)
>  > 2. Remove power to the docking station.  I have my dock's power routed
>  > through a surge protector which makes this a simple matter.
>  > This feature is not documented so far as I can tell, but is probably i=
>  > place to prevent power surges from damaging the dock or attached
>  > equipment.  The ThinkPad's DC/DC power card can handle the surge of
>  > disconnecting the supply while power is applied, but attached
>  > monitors/drives/etc. may not be protected.
>  >
>  > Here is a link to the IBM ThinkPad Dock User's Guide:
>  >=20
> http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4UYLS4.html?lang=3Den_US&page=3Dbran=
d&brand=3Droot&doctype=3D&subtype=3DCat&up=3Dunknownuser
>  >
>  > Lee
>=20
> --=20