[ltp] Replacement Mini-PCI modem

Pam Huntley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 13:26:11 -0500

>I want to replace the 3Com Mini-PCI winmodem card on my Thinkpad A21e with
a real modem card -
>or at least one which will work with Linux.  Any recommendations?

As far as I know, no one manufactures a "real" hardware modem on a mini-pci
card, they're all software-based modems.

For the A21, IBM also shipped a Xircom (now Intel) ethernet/modem combo
card option, the modem is Lucent's Winmodem, which does have a driver here:
http://www.heby.de/ltmodem

If you call to order it from IBM, just make sure you get the one that was
originally on the A21 series, the newer Intel combo cards have
Lucent/Agere's SoftModem, which does NOT have support (yet).  As was stated
in the certification reports Linuxcare did for IBM
(http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/certs/ibm.epl), IBM is working with Agere to
get a driver available for Linux, so the SoftModem should have support
sometime soon, too.

I hope that helps some,

Pam

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           "Alex Bell"                 |
|         |           <abell1@tassie.net.au>      |
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-t|
|         |           hinkpad.org                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           12/03/2002 05:42 AM         |
|         |           Please respond to           |
|         |           linux-thinkpad              |
|         |                                       |
|---------+--------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       "linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org" <linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org>                   |
  |       cc:                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  [ltp] Replacement Mini-PCI modem                                                          |

I want to replace the 3Com Mini-PCI winmodem card on my Thinkpad A21e with
a real modem card -
or at least one which will work with Linux.  Any recommendations?

Regards, Alex
http://www.onlink.net/~outreach/
http://www.southcom.com.au/~outreach/
http://www.tassie.net.au/~abell1/oboe.htm