[ltp] DVD plays half of the screen twice

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:22:40 -0500

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 15:58:52 -0500
cdfrey@netdirect.ca wrote:

> I have a Thinkpad 770Z, running Gentoo Linux 1.4.  This laptop has the
> Trident CyberDVD chip.  I am also running XFree86 4.2.1, and am
> using mplayer 0.90pre8-r1 to play DVDs.

I had the same problem when upgrading my 770X (Trident Cyber
9397DVD) to Red Hat 8.0 from 7.3.  In 7.3, the DVD playback was perfect
(well, as perfect as you can get on a 300 MHz machine).  In 8.0, I get
the problem you describe:

> The problem I am seeing is that when I play a DVD I get the right half
> of the movie screen displayed twice, side by side.  Sound works, and
> the movie seems to play at a good speed, but I only see half of it.

I solved it by copying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/trident_drv.o from
Red Hat 7.3 over Red Hat 8.0's driver.  Since both 7.3 and 8.0 use XFree
4.2.0, this was painless.  (Why did the "same" version of XFree86 not
show the same problem in 7.3?  Compiler issue?  Alignment of the planets?)

Maybe "downgrading" to XFree 4.2.0 might solve your problem?  There's at
least one version of XFree 4.2.0 that CAN properly play DVDs on our 770s

Who might we give a bug report to that can actually fix whatever broke? :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  College Chemistry website: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/