[ltp] RedHat 8 on 600E and reported RAM

Paul Kimoto linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 00:58:10 -0500

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 05:13:35PM -0800, Andrey Yurovsky wrote:
> thanks, I forgot to mention that I use Grub.  What does one do in this
> case?

In the GRUB configuration file (menu.lst or whatever your distribution
likes to call it), look for the line(s) that say(s)

kernel	/path/to/the/kernelimage

and change that to

kernel	/path/to/the/kernelimage mem=WHATEVERHUGENUMBER

However ...

> On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 17:12, zongliang li wrote:
>> 	add the line to you lilo.conf
>> append="mem=192M"

>>> On my 600E I have 192MB of RAM, and Windows sees all of it.  running
>>> free -m
>>> reports 186MB of RAM (and top also thinks it has the same amount).

... these utilities report the memory detected MINUS the amount used
by the kernel (then rounded down, possibly), so 186 MB might be right.
To see the amount detected, look in the output of "dmesg" for the line
that starts with "Memory".