[ltp] DVD plays half of the screen twice

Derek Rogillio linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
04 Dec 2002 12:19:34 -0500

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 09:43, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> $rpm -q XFree86
> XFree86-4.2.0-72
>
> Red Hat 8.0 apparently uses XFree86 4.2.0.  Besides, the initial problem
> (DVD playback broken) was reported by a Gentoo user - using (presumably)
> stock XFree86 4.2.1.

Sorry, I didn't realize that it was originally 4.2.0.  I knew that the
Xft2.0 extensions had been back ported to it, as they have been the
culprit in some of my recent compilation problems.  I've since upgraded
to Mike Harris's beta 4.2.99 packages, which give better results on my
X23 but, with Xft2.0 now built in, still continue to cause me grief when
compiling apps linked to Xft.

$ rpm -qa | grep XFree86
XFree86-4.2.99.2-0.20021105.0

> So long as you don't need to play DVDs on a Thinkpad 700X or 700Z, you'll
> be fine... :)

Nope, I have a T21, an X23, and an old 755CX.

Don't get me wrong ... I *like* Red Hat.  I'm using it now.  I just
don't necessarily always agree with their default choice of
applications.  In the past, it was easy to grab the source for my
favorite applications, compile it, and install it.  With the new Red Hat
modified Xfree86 code, this has become much more difficult.

Once XFree86 4.3 is out, using Xft2.0 and FontConfig 2.1 by default, all
of the major applications will start using the newer headers and all of
this will become a non-issue.  In the meantime, everything is in a state
of flux and Red Hat just happens to be on the cutting edge of font
technologies.

On a side note, does anyone have any experience running Red Hat's X on
the new X30 series?  I'm considering an upgrade from my X23.  According
to the IBM web site, this model has an integrated Intel i830 card.
www.xfree86.org shows this card as being supported in v4.2.1 (and CVS)
but not in v4.2.0.  Have the drivers been back ported by Red Hat?  Can
anyone with an X30 running Red Hat 8.0 confirm that this works?  Even
better, with DRI?

-Derek