[ltp] DVD plays half of the screen twice

Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:52:13 -0500

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:54:31AM -0500, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> > I would give the driver at http://www.xfree86.org/~alanh/ a try.
>
> It won't help.  Same problem (at least on Red Hat 8.0).  I suspect this
> driver was compiled with GCC 3.x.  If what I've read on this thread
> about the same problem appearing in Gentoo is correct, then either XFree86
> 4.2.0 or 4.2.1 will show the problem if compiled with the latest gcc.
>
> As I'm not a programmer, this is of course a guess given what we know
> about which drivers work and which don't. :)

I'm the guy with the original problem, running Gentoo.  I don't have my
laptop handy but I do believe that the 4.2.1 I was running had no
external patches, and I still saw the split screen problem.

It would be interesting to try compiling X 4.2.1 with gcc 2.95 and see
if the problem goes away.  With Gentoo, this should be as easy as
a couple environment variables and a bit of time, but I'm not guru enough
yet to say for certain. :-)

- Chris