[ltp] Distributions

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 11:26:11 -0800

Hi all,

Continuing my collection of data points, I can report that the LibraNet 2.7 (a
Debian distro) installed very well on yet another Thinkpad - an A22p with the
builtin Intel EtherExpress 10/100 as well as a PCMCIA Xircom 10/100/Modem card
and a DLink 650 Wireless card.  Since I'm not a gamer, I haven't tested any 3D
apps to see if the X11 driver supports 3D operations well, altho I have to use
OpenDX, so I'll be finding out about OpenGL support later today..  I did note
that the KDE OpenGL screensavers did not work.

It detected the video chipset correctly (tho I had to select the 1600x1200
screen manually), the sound configured completely automatically (and this is the
1st time I've had the artsd from KDE (v3.03) co-exist compatibly with the sound
requirements for xmms, and kscd).  Also, it configured the Xircom and the
wireless card to share the IP address (as I like, so I can pull the wired one,
stick in the wireless and carry the lappie off to the couch without interrupting
the 17 remote sessions I usually have going).

It allowed me to stick in the compact flash card from my digital camera (tho I
had to look at dmesg output to figure out what device it was) and better yet,
unlike Mandrake 8.2, it allows me to pull it after a umount without freezing
(under M8.2, I had to go thru a manual rmmod to be able to pull the card without
locking the system).

I also set up vmware 3.0 on it (altho it required a compilation (but not
installation) of the matching kernel to allow vmware to match its kernel
modules), which went with no problems.

It also detected and set up the multi-boot for the original win2k partition and
it allows mounting of that partition automatically with a simple fstab entry.
It also allows for mounting it during the install process I think, but I didn't
test that approach.

Downsides:
- The default KDE installation does not autoamtically allow syncing of Kpilot
with my USB visor (altho all teh modules load and with some manual symlinking
and chmoding of /dev/pilot), I can get Kpilot to at least recognize my Visor
(altho not a completely hotsync set...)
- The USB connection to the camera (Nikon 990) was also not set up so that it
worked automatically.  dmesg reported the connection and /proc reported that the
camera (identified correctly) was a device, but unclaimed.
- I didn't test it this time, but previously the LibraNet installer had some
hiccups with installing any file system except reiserfs.  This may have been due
to an early problem I had with a dusty CD burner tho..

I haven't yet tried M9.0 on the thinkpad, but I've ordered a disk to try it out
on.  Will report when this is done.

Again, the huge advantage of a Debian system is the ease of installing and
upgrading.

I found that the Mandrake 8.2 system installed well on the a22p and supported
most of the hardware (except the wireless card and sound) but was a bear to
install software with all the cascading dependencies and once I upgraded the
Perl subsystem (granted, not via Mandrake's updater, since I needed some
specific, non-standard options), most of the Mandrake tools broke and I was stuck.

Just my 2 bits.

harry

--
Cheers, Harry