[ltp] serial port won't work as terminal to connect to other devices

S Y Medley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:24:47 -0800 (PST)

Please help, if you can.

I've got a Thinkpad set up as a dual boot (Windows
2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2).

In Windows, the COM1 works fine with settings 9600N8.

I've been trying for days to get minicom set up to
work as a terminal on that same serial port.  I'm
stumped.

Examples of things i've tried:

wyvern / # cat > /dev/ttyS0
cat: write error: Input/output error
wyvern / # cat > /dev/ttyS1
cat: write error: Input/output error
wyvern / # cat > /dev/ttyS2
cat: write error: Input/output error

wyvern /dev # setserial /dev/ttyS0 autoconfig
wyvern /dev # setserial -a /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ:
4
	Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
	closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
	Flags: spd_normal skip_test

O_wyvern:/proc$ cat /proc/tty/driver/serial
serinfo:1.0 driver:4.27
0: uart:unknown port:3F8 irq:4
1: uart:unknown port:2F8 irq:3
2: uart:unknown port:3E8 irq:4
3: uart:unknown port:2E8 irq:3
4: uart:unknown port:1A0 irq:9

wyvern / # ll /dev/ttyS*
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     tty        4,  64 May  5
1998 /dev/ttyS0
crw-------    1 root     tty        4,  65 May  5
1998 /dev/ttyS1
crw-------    1 root     tty        4,  66 May  5
1998 /dev/ttyS2
crw-------    1 root     tty        4,  67 May  5
1998 /dev/ttyS3

wyvern / # cp junk.txt /dev/ttyS0
cp junk.txt /dev/ttyS0
cp: /dev/ttyS0: Input/output error

I think the hardware and BIOS setup must all be good
because it works fine with Windows.  There's something
i'm missing on the Linux side....

Thanks,
Susannah