[ltp] thinkpad Mandrake 9.0 sound fix, region free DVD & PII 400 upgrade

Tue, 10 Dec 2002 04:05:11 +0000

I was also able to get Region Free DVD working on
an IBM Thinkpad 380Z usitg OGLE DVD Player in Mandrake
linux 9.0!

OGLE DVD Player download:

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/

This Thinkpad does not come with a DVD drive from
IBM, but it accepted a Toshiba 4X DVD SD-C-2202. I bought it cheap on ebay for
around $37.00.

IBM does not list a 380Z DVD drive option, but it works
none the less.

I also upgrade the Pentium II 233 processor to a PII 400.
Processor. This upgrade is also not an option with the
Thinkpad 380Z per IBM, but also works fine!

Here is an ebay posting for a similar Thinkpad usable processor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2079749147

I was able to flash the Toshiba SD-C-2202 DVD drive with Region
Free firmware and with OGLE can watch all DVDs from all
world regions!!

Region Free Firmware:

http://forum.firmware-flash.com/dl_firmware.php?category=2&manufactor=31

I used firmware version 1021. !!BE SURE TO CHECK THE
STICKER ON YOUR DVD DRIVE  OR WINDOWS DEVICE MANAGER FOR
THE CORRECT ROM VERSION!!

How I set up sound:

The CS4237B sound chip works well also using the setup below:

1) Disable Plug N Play function in Thinkpad BIOS by
shutting off quick boot option.

2) Run sndconfig in superuser terminal using these
CS423X values:

io=530, irq= 5, dma=1, dma2=3, mpu io=330, mpu irq=9.

3) Log on as root, in file:/etc/pcmcia/config.opts edit
as a comment by placing # in frount of line:

include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff

4) In KDE control panel, set sound server to start at
boot, using autodetect settings.

5) use Kmix to set & save volumes.

So there you have it, sound & Region Free DVD in Mandrake
9.0 on an IBM PII 400 Thinkpad 380Z!! It even runs speedy!!