[ltp] Keep awake/screen-non-blank with lid closed forever?

Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:35:15 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Tino Keitel wrote:

> > But I haven't figured out how to keep the screen saver from kicking in.
> > I've tried disabling a number of timers, but it still goes black.
>
> What screen saver? Text console? X display? Only screen saver with
> black screen and backlight still turned on or LCD (including backlight)
> completely turned off?

Right now, I've just been trying to get the KDM login screen to come
up and stay there.  And doing this with the case closed, and an
external SVGA monitor attached.  I'd like the LCD+backlight to be off,
because it can't be seen with the case closed.

I did discover that I have to have the following lines in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local or else in the next reboot both screens go black when
X starts and only Fn-F7 or a reboot can bring it back.

  modprobe thinkpad
  /usr/bin/tpctl --quiet --pm-sedation-lid-closure=-
  /usr/bin/tpctl --quiet --pm-timer-mode-blank-display=disable
  /usr/bin/tpctl --quiet --setup-display-internal=enable
  /usr/bin/tpctl --quiet --setup-display-CRT=disable

There must be some more state that I've managed to set that explains
why when X starts it comes up on the CRT.

The machine is in a neat state where the image is on the laptop lcd
until the lid is closed, at which point the external CRT turns on and
the lcd turns off.  When the lid is opened again, the CRT turns off
and the lcd turns on.

It would be nice to have a tpctl option that prints a bunch of tpctl
commands that (when run) will restore the current state.

--
Nfudd@speed-test.net
         Doctors report that they have discovered a cure for apathy.