[ltp] wireless on T30?

Jody Fanto linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:28:33 -0500

I'm trying to get wireless support on my T30 which is running red hat 8.0.

I have three questions:

1. Wireless mostly works using the orinocco_pci driver.  However, as others
have noted, it occasionally freaks out and stops working.  Ben Pfaff (and
others) suggest "removing the kernal module and reinserting it to prod it
back into action".  Cool.  Now, how do I do that?  Where do I learn more?

2. Has anyone had positive experiences installing the linux-wlan-ng prism2
drivers (prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us)?  If so, do the drivers really work
better than the orinocco_pci driver?  If you recommend them, do you have any
installation tips?  My first attempt at installation didn't work.

3. Are there utilities for switching between wired and wireless ethernet?
Currently I do this by commenting out the appropriate "alais eth0" line in
/etc/modules.conf.  Is it possible to switch without rebooting?

        --Jody