[ltp] wireless on T30?

Steven Filling linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 05:54:28 -0800

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:49:07 +0100

> At 05:28 15.12.2002, Jody Fanto wrote:
 >I'm trying to get wireless support on my T30 which is running red hat
 >8.0.
 >
 >I have three questions:
 >
 >1. Wireless mostly works using the orinocco_pci driver.  However, as
 >others have noted, it occasionally freaks out and stops working.  Ben
 >Pfaff (and others) suggest "removing the kernal module and
 >reinserting it to prod it back into action".  Cool.  Now, how do I do
 >that?  Where do I learn more?
 >
 >2. Has anyone had positive experiences installing the linux-wlan-ng
 >prism2 drivers (prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us)?  If so, do the
 >drivers really work better than the orinocco_pci driver?  If you
 >recommend them, do you have any installation tips?  My first attempt
 >at installation didn't work.

I've been using the linux-wlan-ng prism2 drivers since I  bought my T30,
they work just fine with the onboard wireless - haven't had a single
instance of it stopping.  I'm running on RH 7.3, although that shouldn't
make a large difference.  The only thing I tweaked was the apm scripts,
adding network and wlan stop and start.

HTH
S.
Steven Filling