[ltp] power off winmodem ??

Dan Sawyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:43:49 -0800

--------------000307010900060805050400

Alex,

First I agree with your comments about linux drivers. The interupt
assignment occurs in the BIOS level. Not loading the drivers does not
remove the device from the power up startup config process.

Second windoz should be very happy with two modems. That is not the
issue. Is there a way you can move one of the modems to com 2 or 4. I
suspect you have an interupt conflict. Try turning off either the IR or
serial ports.

Dan

Alex Bell wrote:

>May I expose my ignorance and ask how one prevents 'loading the drivers for the device'?  I have
>a Thinkpad A21e with a winmodem.  I've bought an serial external modem, but could only get it to
>work under Windoze 2000 by disabling the internal winmodem.  I suspect that the reason Xandros
>won't recognise the external modem at all is that it is blocked by the internal modem - even
>though the winmodem is on Com3 and the external modem is on Com1.  Does this make sense?
>
>On 19 Dec 2002 21:15:57 -0700, James Mckenzie wrote:
>

>>This is simple, don't load the drivers for the device.  Linux will not
>>know it is there.
>>
>>Now, if you want to "power-down" the device, you will have to remove it.
>>
>>James Mckenzie
>>

>>On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 11:36, Dan Sawyer wrote:
>>

>>>All,
>>>
>>>I seem to be unable to remove the winmodem from a 600x system. I have
>>>tried to disable it with ps2.exe but it still shows up in the Linux pci
>>>list.
>>>
>>>Did I not get all the ps2.exe links? Without physically removing it is
>>>there a way to make it invisable to Linux?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Dan
>>>

>>>--
>>

>Regards, Alex
>http://www.onlink.net/~outreach/
>http://www.southcom.com.au/~outreach/
>http://www.tassie.net.au/~abell1/oboe.htm

--------------000307010900060805050400

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Alex,<br>
First I agree with your comments about linux drivers. The interupt assignment
occurs in the BIOS level. Not loading the drivers does not remove the device
from the power up startup config process. <br>
Second windoz should be very happy with two modems. That is not the issue.
Is there a way you can move one of the modems to com 2 or 4. I suspect you
have an interupt conflict. Try turning off either the IR or serial ports.
Dan<br>
Alex Bell wrote:<br>
 cite="mid200212200847.gBK8lDt6001444@atlas.tassie.net.au">
  <pre wrap="">May I expose my ignorance and ask how one prevents 'loading the drivers for the device'?  I have
a Thinkpad A21e with a winmodem.  I've bought an serial external modem, but could only get it to
work under Windoze 2000 by disabling the internal winmodem.  I suspect that the reason Xandros
won't recognise the external modem at all is that it is blocked by the internal modem - even
though the winmodem is on Com3 and the external modem is on Com1.  Does this make sense?

    <pre wrap="">This is simple, don't load the drivers for the device.  Linux will not