[ltp] power off winmodem ??

jjmckenzie51@earthlink.net linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:41:27 -0500

Alex:

The problem is that you were trying to run modems on the same com "link"=2E=
=20
Com1 and com3 "share" the same interrupt and thus the two modems could not=

be assigned to this com "pair"=2E  I always suggest turning "off" the
internal modem device, if possible, before connecting either a PCMCIA or
external modem to a system=2E

James Mckenzie

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Alex Bell abell1@tassie=2Enet=2Eau
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 06:45:21 +1100
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad=2Eorg
Subject: Re: [ltp] power off winmodem ??

May I expose my ignorance and ask how one prevents 'loading the drivers fo=
the device'?  I have=20
a Thinkpad A21e with a winmodem=2E  I've bought an serial external modem, =
but
could only get it to=20
work under Windoze 2000 by disabling the internal winmodem=2E  I suspect t=
hat
the reason Xandros=20
won't recognise the external modem at all is that it is blocked by the
internal modem - even=20
though the winmodem is on Com3 and the external modem is on Com1=2E  Does
this make sense?

On 19 Dec 2002 21:15:57 -0700, James Mckenzie wrote:

>This is simple, don't load the drivers for the device=2E  Linux will not
>know it is there=2E
>
>Now, if you want to "power-down" the device, you will have to remove it=2E=

>James Mckenzie
>

>On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 11:36, Dan Sawyer wrote:
>> All,
>>=20
>> I seem to be unable to remove the winmodem from a 600x system=2E I have=

>> tried to disable it with ps2=2Eexe but it still shows up in the Linux p=
ci
>> list=2E
>>=20
>> Did I not get all the ps2=2Eexe links? Without physically removing it i=
>> there a way to make it invisable to Linux?
>>=20
>> Thanks,
>> Dan
>>=20
>>=20
>> --=20
>> The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
>

>--=20
>The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:

Regards, Alex
http://www=2Eonlink=2Enet/~outreach/
http://www=2Esouthcom=2Ecom=2Eau/~outreach/
http://www=2Etassie=2Enet=2Eau/~abell1/oboe=2Ehtm