[ltp] power off winmodem ??

Alex Bell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:07:33 +1100

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_5153984=_=_=_

--Original Message Text---
From: Dan Sawyer
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:43:49 -0800

Alex,

First I agree with your comments about linux drivers. The interupt assignment occurs in the BIOS level. Not loading the drivers does
not remove the device from the power up startup config process.

Second windoz should be very happy with two modems. That is not the issue. Is there a way you can move one of the modems to
com 2 or 4. I suspect you have an interupt conflict. Try turning off either the IR or serial ports.

Dan

Thanks for your response, Dan, but I'm not sure (in my very genuine ignorance) what you mean.  So far as I can tell when I checked
through Windoze hardware detection the internal modem and the external modem had different Com, IRQ, and port numbers.  In any
event I've got the modem working under Windoze - or are you suggesting that if I changed the IRQ under Windoze that would also
change the IRQ under Linux, and so make the external modem recognisable by Linux?  Am I making sense to you?

Regards, Alex
http://www.onlink.net/~outreach/
http://www.southcom.com.au/~outreach/
http://www.tassie.net.au/~abell1/oboe.htm

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_5153984=_=_=_

<HTML>

<FONT SIZE="2" POINTSIZE="10" DEFAULT="SIZE">--Original Message Text---<BR>
<B>From:</B> Dan Sawyer<BR>
<B>Date:</B> Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:43:49 -0800<BR>
<BR>
Alex,<BR>
<BR>
First I agree with your comments about linux drivers. The interupt assignment occurs in the BIOS level. Not loading the drivers does not remove the device from the power up startup config process. <BR>
<BR>
Second windoz should be very happy with two modems. That is not the issue. Is there a way you can move one of the modems to com 2 or 4. I suspect you have an interupt conflict. Try turning off either the IR or serial ports. <BR>
<BR>
Dan<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for your response, Dan, but I'm not sure (in my very genuine ignorance) what you mean.  So far as I can tell when I checked through Windoze hardware detection the internal modem and the external modem had different Com, IRQ, and port numbers.  In any event I've got the modem working under Windoze - or are you suggesting that if I changed the IRQ under Windoze that would also change the IRQ under Linux, and so make the external modem recognisable by Linux?  Am I making sense to you?<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT FACE="Courier New"><BR>
<BR>
<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT FACE="Arial" DEFAULT="FACE"><BR>
<FONT FACE="Courier New"><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT FACE="Arial" DEFAULT="FACE"><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

</HTML>

<HTML>
<LEFT>
<FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="#000001" SIZE="2" POINTSIZE="10" DEFAULT="ALL">
Regards,&nbsp;Alex<br>
http://www.onlink.net/~outreach/<br>
http://www.southcom.com.au/~outreach/<br>
http://www.tassie.net.au/~abell1/oboe.htm</HTML>

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_5153984=_=_=_--