[ltp] Serial port not working on 600E

Mike Storke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 05:27:13 -0800 (PST)

This was in a thread earlier this month, but I never
saw an answer, so I'm starting it again because I have
the same problem.

The problem is deceptively simple: the serial port
works fine under win-98, but not under Linux.  Seyon
reports nothing but I/O errors no matter what you do,
and setserial says that the driver doesn't know what
kind of chipset is in use (even after "autoconfig" and
"auto_irq" are issued).

The only possibility that seems reasonable is
something
I saw written about somewhere else in passing: that
the BIOS may be shutting off the serial port every
single time the system is booted.  The answer, then,
would be to run the appropriate command to tpctl in a
script, which I'm going to do shortly.  But if that
doesn't work, I'm definitely stumped, so any help
would
be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

P.S. If you're wondering what I'd want such an old,
kludgy interface for, it's the connector to my brand-
new GSM/GPRS phone for connecting out to the 'net all
portable-like! :)