[ltp] Thinkpad 760XL, Red Hat 8.0, and XFree86

Wed, 25 Dec 2002 17:15:51 +0100

On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 22:54:46 -0500, Mike Barnard wrote:
> Much thanks to Tino Keitel, but that XF86Config file did not solve my
> problem. All indications are that X is starting fine (I can switch to
> another VC and run ps and see X, gnome-session, etc. all running) but I
> get nothing on my display. The backlight stays on, though. I noticed
> something in Tino's config file that makes reference to a modified
> trident driver being necessary. Does anyone know anything about this?

This is nothing to worry about. My original XF86Config contains 2 mode
lines. However, the original Trident driver won't use the timings of
the mode lines and uses fixed timings that look ugly on my 17" CRT. So
I hacked the driver for myself just to be able to use the CRT. You can
achieve the same if you boot the machine with the lid closed while the
TP is connected to a CRT.

Regards,
Tino