[ltp] Switched to Linux guest on Vmware running on Windows host

Mark Beierl linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:31:45 -0500

Mike Heroux wrote:

>First of all before I go on, I am not trying to start a religious war, or
>convince someone that my configuration is the best for everyone.  At the
>same time, I see many new users post to this list describing their woes
>while trying to get Linux to do things that Windows does so well, e.g.,
>support the latest devices, suspend/hibernate well and handle multimedia
>applications well.

I second that opinion.  I am surprised, however, that your experience is
that Windows does suspention/hibernation better than linux.  Oddly my
experience has been the opposite (on a 600x at least).  Windows NT (ah,
maybe that was the difference) refused to hibernate with the pcmcia
cards inserted, and it died if I ejected the cards (or at least I would
lose the network from that point on)

Bottom line is of course, to decide what it is that you really need your
machine to do.  Not everyone *really* needs one particular OS...

Good points, and thanks!

Regards,
Mark Beierl
Texar Corp.