[ltp] A22p crashes occasionally on suspend?

Richard Neill linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:30:59 +0000

Dear All,

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem to this:

My A22p is set such that, after 10 minutes, the (1)screensaver kicks in.
After a further 10, it (2)blanks the screen, and then after a further 10
minutes, it (3)suspends (suspend to RAM, ie apm-s).

This usually works, but I find that about 1 time in 30, I leave the pc
and return to find it either:

	i) Has stalled between stages 1 and 2; the screensaver still 			"frozen" on the
screen.

	or

	ii) Has suspended, but wakes up into state (i).

In both cases, I have no control with the keyboard/mouse to attempt
something like Ctrl-Alt-F1/Bksp/Del. However I can usually do
Alt-Sysrq-S,U,B.

Any ideas? This is a real pain, especially since I moved to Linux
because it "didn't crash like Windows" :-)

(I am running Mandrake 8.1 on an A22p, with 512MB RAM. I use KDE, and
have the Lucent Winmodem installed (and working).

Thanks a lot for your help

Best wishes

Richard

[P.S. if it's of any interest, I have put my 'experiences' on the web at
www.richardneill.org/mandrake-a22p.htm]