[ltp] connecting PS/2 kbd to TP760?

M. Leo Cooper linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:34:01 -0700 (MST)

On my 760XL, I haven't had any luck connecting a full-size PS/2 keyboard
to the "external input device port" (the round multi-pin jack on the side,
next to the PCMCIA slots). The keyboard connector fits into the port,
but the machine will not recognize the keyboard on bootup.

I even tried playing with the /etc/X11/XF86Config file, to see if I could get
X to see the keyboard, but no dice.

Excerpts from the 760XL/XD spec-sheet:

            The IBM ThinkPad 760XL new models systems support the
            attachment of external keyboards.  In particular, the IBM
            Enhanced Keyboard with PS/2 Style Cable (PN 92G7453 FN
            2289) and the IBM ThinkPad Space Saver Keyboard (PN 84G2524
            FN 2298).

	    EXTERNAL INTERFACE: The external input device port can have
	    the following devices connected: IBM PS/2 Miniature Mouse
	    (#5443, P/N 07G0033); IBM PS/2 Numeric Keypad (#5445, P/N
	    07G0032); IBM PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse Connector (#3145, P/N
	    54G0441). The IBM Keyboard/Mouse Connector is required when
	    attaching an external keyboard and attaching an external
	    keyboard and mouse.

The above leads me to believe that possibly the BIOS would need to be upgraded
to recognize an external keyboard, or maybe I need an "IBM Keyboard/Mouse
Connector". If so, where could I get one of these cheap?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.