[ltp] Red Hat 7.2 on a 770ED

Adam Benjamin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 08:51:26 -0500 (EST)

> Does anybody installed RH 7.2 on a 770ED ?

I'm running RH 7.2 on a 770E.  I hope that's close enough... :)

> Well, I did it and I am not being able to get the sound card working.
> The situation is that if I copy the I/O addresses and IRQ's from Win95, the
> alsasound start, more specifically the insmod command, tells me that there
> is a problem with either the I/O or the IRQ.

I recommend booting into dos, either via floppy disks or a separate
partition.  (I have a permanant dos partition on my HD just for this
purpose.)  Run the PS2 tool (see IBM's site, or email me and I'll send
you the URL) and see what IRQs and DMAs and IO addresses are in use.
I have mine running fine, with the noted exception that I have to
either suspend or reload the sound modules after a fresh boot as
somehow the sound isn't working when I do that.  (After a suspend or
hibernate it's fine - so I'm not sure what's going wrong there -
probably a RH'ism.)

I've seen some weird stuff with my girlfriend's 770Z where windows
autoconfigures stuff its own way (upon bootup) that either changes
things or leaves them in an incompatible state with Linux.  Try (just
to test) configuring via DOS with the PS2 tool and rebooting back into
Linux.  (ie. avoid the Windows boot for a bit.)  See if you can get it
working then.  If so, and then it stops after booting into Windows,
you know it's windows' autoconfiguration stuff that's messing you up.
(At that point try manually assigning DMAs, IRQ's etc. in windows.)

Good luck with that...

> Also , everytime KDE starts up I get a message telling me that the
> /dev/audio can't be opened and that the sound server will be using the null
> device.

Sounds related to the fact that the sound drivers aren't loading
properly - and it's telling you, "I give up.  Any sound i/o is going to
/dev/null."

> Another question I have is related to the IBM Network printer configuration
> , models 12 and 17. I've downloaded a tool from IBM, which is called

Sorry - can't help yout here.

Good luck,

Adam Benjamin