[ltp] Keyboard problem on 760EL TP

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:58:57 +0100

On Friday, 27. April 2001 16:58, M. Leo Cooper wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, James Mckenzie wrote:
> > One, you probably could remove the keycaps, just be careful
>
> Yes, very careful. The keycaps are held by very delicate plastic
> clips. Pry the keycaps up from the bottom with a dull knife blade or
> something similar.
>
> > Two, I found that I had to clean (with compressed air) the 'domes' and
> > used a special plastic lubricant to make the keys easier to press.
>
> What kind of "plastic lubricant" and where can it be obtained. I tried
> light machine oil (probably not a good idea, since it will eventually dry
> out and might even chemically react with the plastic).

If someone on the list still has this problem: Yesterday I bought a silicon
lubricant spray. I pulled out all often used keys keys of my TP 765L (1-0,
a-z, +, space key, etc.), sprayed a little bit on each bottom side of the
keys and put it back on the keyboard. All I can say is that it worked
wonders. It seems like it's a problem of all old 765's since a friend of mine
also has this problem, whereas I know of 3 760's whose keyboards are still
easy going.

Tino