[ltp] fast IR

Adam Benjamin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:07:21 -0500 (EST)

I recently poked into this sort of thing and here's what I found out:

the SIR (Slow IR?) mode presents as a serial port.  My TP770E does
this mode just fine.  Using that I can talk to a handspring device.

FIR (fast IR) mode is different - the drivers talk to the card
directly and present a device that can be used, but it's not a
straight serial port - or at least when you're done it maps to a
different name.  (I forget what - I played with this a couple months
ago.)

The deal with my 770E is that the drivers understand my chipset, but
something about the 770E's IR chipset is different from any other
version of the same chipset.  (ie. the name's the same, but it didn't
seem to work.)  So I couldn't get FIR mode working and gave up.  SIR
mode works, but as you've noticed is kinda slow.

You may be able to get yours to work (depending on the chipset and
whether it's supported by the IR drivers) but you'll have to do some
poking around as to how to do it.

I hope that helps,

Adam Benjamin