[ltp] mailing list archives/a30p modem?

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
20 Feb 2002 17:00:17 -0600

The mailing list archives at
<http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html> only go to September 2001.
Is there an archive of more recent messages?

Or, can somebody tell me what kind of modem the A30p comes with, and
whether it works with Linux?

The specific model is the 2653-65U, which is the one with the 1600x1200
screen and built-in 802.11b, but no bluetooth. On the "Customize" page
at IBM for this machine, the "PC Card Modems" popup menu lists "IBM
10/100 Ethernet Mini-PCI Adapter with 56K Modem by 3Com", which I assume
I don't want, because I've seen messages on this list saying that there
are no Linux drivers for the 3Com modems in Thinkpads.

But does that mean that the default Mini-PCI card has a Lucent modem? I
searched the ltmodems mailing list archive for "a30p":

<http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/cgi-bin/webglimpse.cgi?pathinfo=%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fwg2%2Farchives%2F1&query=a30p&errors=0&age=&maxfiles=50&maxlines=30&maxchars=10000&cache=yes>

Some people reported that the A30p has an "Intel PCTEL 2304 WT V.92
MDC Modem", and it's not clear whether it can be made to work with the
pctel drivers (see <http://sayamindu.topcities.com/pctel.html>). Nobody
reported success.

So, has anybody on the list got an A30p internal modem working under
Linux?

Thanks,
rob