[ltp] Mandrake vs Redhat

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:10:54 -0500

> On Wednesday 02 January 2002 03:07 pm, Tod Harter wrote:
> > The other major difference is that Red Hat refuses to support KDE.
>
> At one time this was true, but the Redhat distro does come with KDE.
> At installation, you can install KDE, Gnome, or both.  I'm running KDE
> under Redhat 7.1 (Thinkpad and Dell desktop) and 7.2 (Micron desktop) right
> now. It may be true that Mandrake supports KDE better than Redhat (I've
> never tried Mandrake), but Redhat does support KDE.

Actually Red Hat doesn't provide "official" RPMs for KDE. Some of their
employees and users do provide RPMs, which Red Hat then includes in their
distro, but no payed RH employee has the job of building KDE packages or
maintaining them. If you go to the KDE web site's downloads section there is
a rather lengthy discussion of this issue. It appears that RH has decided not
to put any resources at all into releases for KDE. Predictably what people
are getting is not fully integrated and not always as up to date as what you
get with other distros like ML where KDE is integrated and tested from the
ground up with each release.