[ltp] A cry for help with installation on a 560

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 17:17:59 -0500

On Thursday 03 January 2002 16:19, you wrote:
> I have a 560 thinkpad with a sony discman cd-rom using a using a scsi II
> card from adaptec (1460A). I have tried to install Red Hat 7.1 by creating
> both a boot.img disc and a pcmcia.img disc and a pcmciaadd.img disc, but
> to no avail. I simply cannot get the red hat installation to load
> necessary drivers and recognize my cd-rom. Since I can't install anything
> I don't know how to go about trying to make the linux dist. recognize my
> cd-rom. Does anyone know what I should do? From what I have found out
> through the internet the adaptec 1460A should work with linux.

Well, hmmm... The only thing I can think of is that RH just isn't providing a
boot image that has both PCMCIA and SCSI support? My answer to problems like
that is to compile myself a kernel that I KNOW will work with that
configuration and build a boot disk. Naturally that requires an existing
working Linux system.

I have also found sometimes that SCSI has idiotsyncracies. Certain Adaptec
cards for instance don't work very well unless there is a device with ID 1.
On the other hand its traditional to use ID 4 or 5 for SCSI CDROM, so its
possible your boot image is looking for a particular device to find the CD.
Generally you can boot from RH's floppy and tell it you want to do a "rescue"
at which point you can poke around some. At least you could look to see what
devices you have in /dev etc.