[ltp] [560X] boot options

Guy Yasko linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
04 Jan 2002 21:39:13 +0900

    Pradeep> Hello, Just wanted to clarify the various startup/boot
    Pradeep> options in the TP560X BIOS.  1. There's floppy1 and
    Pradeep> floppy 2; whats the difference ?  2. What does the PCMCIA
    Pradeep> boot expect to find ? A PCMCIA floppy drive or a CDROM
    Pradeep> drive ? Which socket does it query ?  3. How do I get to
    Pradeep> use the network boot ?

i can only explain how slackware does it, but perhaps redhat is
similar.

you don't have to mess with the bios settings -- as long as you can
boot off a floppy that is.  have the machine boot off the install
floppies.  (there are two of them now).  once you're logged, in you
load some pcmcia modules from yet another floppy.  then, when the
install script asks for installation source location, you point it at
your installation source.  i think you might need nfs to be running on
the remote machine.

i might have missed or misordered something, but that's basically how
it goes.  it's probably not really that different if you use a pcmcia
scsi card.  use the method that seems the least amount of trouble.

g.y.

--
Guy Yasko -- gyasko@mx7.ttcn.ne.jp

Awright, which one of you hid my PENIS ENVY?