[ltp] Re: [SLE] Questions about moving from Win2k to SUSE 7.3 Pro (Long)

Dr. Edmund Weitz linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
07 Jan 2002 14:01:10 +0100

Tim Prince <tprince@computer.org> writes:

> Shane Broomhall wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >

> >My computer is an IBM thinkpad A20m.  I have replaced the hard disk
> >with one of 30M and it has 512M of ram, so I am expecting it to
> >really scream.  It has an internal DVD, and a Win Modem.  I have an
> >Iomega USB Zip CDR.
> >

> >I have heard that Winmodems are now useable, has anyone had
> >experiences with making these work with 7.3 and could you please
> >give me hint on where to find the instructions. ???
> >
> The LT WinModem driver for SuSE 7.3 (from the sfu site to which the
> SuSE hints point) works fine.  I'm sure there are WinModems which
> don't work.
>
> I'm having difficulty with ALSA, since 7.3 Personal doesn't appear
> to have kernel headers available, so I may regret the choice of
> Personal.

I have the 'Update' package, not 'Personal', so I might be wrong, but
can't you simply install the kernel source RPM? As far as I
understand, it would be a violation of the GPL if they distributed the
kernel without the source.

Edi.