[ltp] Re: [SLE] Questions about moving from Win2k to SUSE 7.3 Pro (Long)

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 07 Jan 2002 07:55:29 -0800

Dr. Edmund Weitz wrote:

>Tim Prince <tprince@computer.org> writes:
>
>>Shane Broomhall wrote:
>>
>>>Hi All,
>>>

>>>My computer is an IBM thinkpad A20m.  I have replaced the hard disk
>>>with one of 30M and it has 512M of ram, so I am expecting it to
>>>really scream.  It has an internal DVD, and a Win Modem.  I have an
>>>Iomega USB Zip CDR.
>>>

>>>I have heard that Winmodems are now useable, has anyone had
>>>experiences with making these work with 7.3 and could you please
>>>give me hint on where to find the instructions. ???
>>>
>>The LT WinModem driver for SuSE 7.3 (from the sfu site to which the
>>SuSE hints point) works fine.  I'm sure there are WinModems which
>>don't work.
>>
>>I'm having difficulty with ALSA, since 7.3 Personal doesn't appear
>>to have kernel headers available, so I may regret the choice of
>>Personal.
>>

>I have the 'Update' package, not 'Personal', so I might be wrong, but
>can't you simply install the kernel source RPM? As far as I
>understand, it would be a violation of the GPL if they distributed the
>kernel without the source.
>
>Edi.

I'm new to SuSE, and their web sites have been erratic lately, but the
ALSA magically corrected itself with an upgrade installation and a
couple of reboots, so it might be said that SuSE Personal 7.3 supports
the TP20 nearly "out of the box," except that StarOffice doesn't run as
supplied.