[ltp] Questions about moving from Win2k to SUSE 7.3 Pro (Long)

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 14:06:06 -0500

It should scream all right, I have A20p with 384 megs and it rocks. Not sure
the difference of m vs p, but You should be able to support all the hardware
you mentioned.

> My computer is an IBM thinkpad A20m.  I have replaced the hard disk with
> one of 30M and it has 512M of ram, so I am expecting it to really scream.
> It has an internal DVD, and a Win Modem.  I have an Iomega USB Zip CDR.
>
> the 2.4 Kernal has support for USB devices, would anyone know if my USB CDR
> would be detected and it it would be useable as a CDR. ??

Yes, if Suse has properly configured their kernel.

> Does the USB Zip Drive work as well ???

Again, assuming proper kernel configuration, yes.

> I have heard that Winmodems are now useable, has anyone had experiences
> with making these work with 7.3 and could you please give me hint on where
> to find the instructions. ???

Some are, some aren't. The A20p has the lucent chipset winmodem, which is
well supported, you need the "lt_modem" package for that. Due to licensing
issues it isn't provided by any distro that I know of. I think ltmodem6.0a is
about the latest one.

> Currently I am using Norton Internet secutiry as my anti virus and
> firewall, I am at times detecting port scans every few minutes.  Are there
> any available instructions on really securing Suse Linux or linux generally
> to prevent or at least slow down hackers and scanners ??

Well, you would want to explore the use of iptables firewalling rules. The
most secure approach is to disallow all TCP "syn" packets. That prevents any
remote connection to any TCP network service on your machine, you can't get
much more secure than that. Outgoing connections aren't affected, so its
ideal for most workstations. You can also tell iptables to log packets that
are dropped, that way you can detect port scans.

> Are there any tools to give them a slap on the wrist if they try ?????

hehe, well that depends on what you mean... I guess there probably are, or it
would be pretty simple to write a perl script to do something when a scan
happens. Personally I just drop the packets and they never know I even
exist...

> I will still need to run some windows applications but I am hoping to use
> an emulator, probably Vmware, how difficult is this to setup ??  The main
> program is an accounting program called MYOB.

VMware works fine, though it isn't a cheap piece of software. I find it well
worth the price though. Setting it up is generally dirt simple. You just run
a shell script and answer a few questions. If you want Windows to have access
to the network though you will need to understand how to set a couple routing
table entries and configure NAT. I have a script that should work if you
decide to go that way.

> Thanks in advance for your help, and replies
>
> Shane
yw