[ltp] Machine Freeze up

Robert B. Lowrie linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:51:39 -0700

On Friday 11 January 2002 06:16 am, you wrote:
> I just had my Suse 7.3 running on a IBM T20 thinkpad lock up on me. I
> didn't have that much going on, but the strange part was that as soon as
> the system froze, both the scroll lock and caps lock button started
> blinking. They continued blinking until I did a hard reset. Very strange

My T20 also locks up hard sometimes, but I've never had the blinking lights.
My lockups are typically the result of the X-server crashing (I'm assuming
you're also running X).  Two apps _always_ lock up my machine:

StarOffice/Openoffice -- There's a known fix for this, and apparently the
latest server gets around the problem, although I haven't tried it.

Maple --  A commercial symbolic math package (specifically, xmaple).  I don't
know of any fixes for this app.

I suspect that other apps will also lock it up, so maybe you can track it
down to a specific app you are running?  In my case, the lock up doesn't
always occur immediately after starting the app; it might occur after using
it for a little while.  Unfortunately,  the only workaround I've found is not
to run StarOffice and Maple on my T20.

-Rob