[ltp] Drive Set-up on a TP760ED

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:54:44 +0000 (GMT)

2.5 gig is enough for linux for something however it will be tight and you
should be picky about exactly what you want to install. will that little
space I would suggest you use "one big partitition as /" for your system,
rather than deviding it up into / /usr /var /tmp to make sure what free
space you do have don't become fragmented across partitions.

Its not a suse system however to show you the sizes you can get away with
here is the space I have used (not avialable space)
/ 70meg
/var 52 meg
/usr 1.2 gig could be pruned by about 100meg as I have 2 kernel source
trees at the moment...

don't forget you will need some swap space, however you can use /dev/shm
for /tmp which means swap can double as /tmp space.

All in all if your careful you would have about 1g free for use on a 2.5
gig partition. Generally I find the amount of mp3s on a system explands to
fill the ammount of available space, so I would suggest deleting xmms and
then you have more space than your ever need ;-)

James