[ltp] IBM notebook A21m Sound + Debian

Tom Allison linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:23:29 -0500

I have a long running problem with my notebook.

I can compile the sound module and load them.  It works, but at about
1/50th of the volume of a standard keyboard "beep".
Is there someway that I can fix this in such a way that I don't have
to keep cranking up some GUI sound-level manager and toggle it when I
start up?

I believe that this can be done somewhere, I had it working on KDE
once.  But it required that I load KDE all the time.

I am specifically interested in WindowMaker if that matters.  But I
believe the answer lies below XFree86 since there are CLI applications
to run cd-players and such.

I don't know if the answer is to use alsa instead.  If that's the
case, I have one question.  I still need all the sound drivers in the
kernel (modules) right?
ALSA is an extension to sound, not a replacement?