[ltp] Drive Set-up on a TP760ED

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 17:57:54 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, JavaNick wrote:

> / 70meg
> > /var 52 meg
> > /usr 1.2 gig could be pruned by about 100meg as I have 2 kernel source
> > trees at the moment...
>
> Do these partitions need to be at the front end or beginning of the hard
> drive, meaning do I set up 1. 70 meg partition, then 2. 52 meg
> partition......and then the Win98 partition last?
> JavaNick

No in your case I would setup your window partion first, and deal with
your windows install, then do a linux install, when asked for what
partitions you want setup a swap partion of 128meg, then setup the rest of
the disk to be one big partition that would be mounted as / your linux
install will probably try to divide things up more... don't let it, you
want One big partion as your disk is less that 8 gb in size you don't have
a problem with the bios not being able to boot from the end of the disk
(that happens after 8gb). So you can put thinsg in any order you like.

Have a play with your system, I always find when installing a new os, I
have to install things a couple of times to get the sizes right.

You would have something like this

device        id
/dev/hda1     b         windows
/dev/hda2     82        linux swap