[ltp] Drive Set-up on a TP760ED

Bill Turner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 02:43:13 +0000

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 10:17:33PM -0800, JavaNick wrote:

> I've heard horror stories about dual-boot systems. Mainly I've heard that
> Windows does not like Linux being on the same drive, tries to save files to
> Linux partitions, etc. Before I install Suse 7.3, is there any truth to
> that? My system config BTW are: Thinkpad 760 ED 80RAM/3gb partitions(2) one
> for each OS.
> JavaNick

Hmmm...let's just say that whoever told you those 'horror stories' was
"mis-informed"

1.  Microsoft OS's - no matter what kind - do not like to "play nice"
with other OS's no matter what they might be.  That's why you have to
install Windows first.  If you don't, your Linux boot sector will get
"nuked" by the MS install procedure as it never even bothers to check
for anything other than a microsoft os...that means unless you have a
boot floppy for Linux you can't access it anymore.  Well, not by booting
off the hard drive anyway.  You can use a "rescue disk" like Tomsrtbt to
repair the damage but it's not for the faint of heart even though it is
a fairly straight-forward procedure really.

2.  Linux can read from, and write to, a Windows vfat partiton.  Windows
cannot under any circumstances write to (or even read) a Linux
partition.  If you want proof of that fire up the MSDOS FDISK program.
Look at the description for where the Linux partition is.  "Unknown"
Any DOS-based util will tell you the same thing.

I have a TP 760 EL 72RAM/3gb and was running W95b and Linux dual-boot
until a week ago.  No problems at all.  As long as you install Windows
first there shouldn't be any.

I went to Microsoft to check on getting the latest security patches for
windows and saving them to disk.  Microsoft, in it's "infinite wisdom",
saw fit to not allow me to save the files to disk but instead just ran
the install immediately after the download. Naturally, it failed.  9 MB
on a dialup and I was not about to do it twice.

I will never in my life run another Microsoft OS.  Or Microsoft App.  I
have my CD. I bought my OS in a completely legal and above board
fashion.  It is not acceptable to me that Microsoft can just decide to
withdraw support on "older" OS's and apps.

If I were a business instead of an individual I'd be pretty damned angry
right about now.  Support?  Yeah.  Right.  Pay through the nose to
license your software and have the rug jerked out from under you.

I know an awful lot of businesses that are not about to touch W2K, or
XP, with a 10-foot pole.  Not for quite a while yet.  Not until it's in
some sort of "stable" state anyways.

Not that Billy G. and Company give a rat's behind what I think though
right?  Just one man and all that...

laterzzz

--

Got 30 seconds?  Feed somebody.  <http://www.thehungersite.com>
Tried Linux?  No?  Why not? <http://www.linuxdot.org>

GnuPG Public key available...PGP Public Key available...

Bill Turner <wildbill@speakeasy.org>